Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
FOR GRITS: (DOUBLE THIS AMOUNT FOR HEARTY MEAL)
- 1 cup grits
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley or oregano
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces beer
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound medium to large shrimp, peeled, rinsed, and patted dry
- For grits: Begin preparing grits according to package instructions (sometimes I split liquid called for w/half water/half milk). Whisk in salt, pepper, garlic powder, and parsley. Whisk occasionally; as grits begin to thicken, stir in butter to incorporate. Let sit for another minute. Whisk/stir in shredded cheese and beer until smooth.
- Adjust seasonings, butter and cheese to taste. Keep covered and warm until ready for shrimp.
- For shrimp: Preheat the oven broiler.
- Stovetop, warm a 12-inch oven safe skillet over medium heat, add olive oil. When oil begins to ripple/shimmer, whisk in paprika, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Whisk together and let simmer for about one minute.
- Add the shrimp, shake the skillet to distribute shrimp evenly in 1 layer over bottom of skillet. Wait 30 seconds, turn shrimp over once. Place skillet in oven under preheated broiler for 2 minutes. Carefully remove skillet from oven. Spoon shrimp and olive oil mixture over prepared grits.
Please take some time to check out https://shewearsmanyhats.com/shrimp-and-grits-recipe/ for notes on cooking grits and options for this recipe.