Cook time: 30 minutes total
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground chuck
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 12 ounces egg noodles
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- A few dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 8oz container sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the ground chuck and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook the meat, crumbling as you go, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the noodles, broth, 1 cup hot water, the mustard, paprika and Worcestershire sauce. Give a big stir and bring to a simmer. Cover and allow everything to simmer, stirring occasionally and adding up to 1/2 cup more water if necessary, until the pasta is al dente and the sauce has thickened, about 12 minutes. Stir in the sour cream and heavy cream and cook for 1 additional minute or until the pasta is tender.
- Remove from the heat. Sprinkle over the chives and serve directly from the pan.
Some of the ingredients seem odd choices, do not omit them! They come together in a way that created the flavor you expect from this dish.