Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 12+ hours
- 2 to 3 pounds beef brisket
- 1 Tablespoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup water
- 1½ teaspoons liquid smoke flavoring
- 3 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (18 oz.) bottle barbecue sauce
- Combine the thyme, paprika, pepper, salt, onion powder, garlic powder and cumin in a small bowl.
- Rub spice mixture all over the top of the brisket.
- Pour 1 cup water in bottom of slow cooker. Place spice covered brisket over water. Pour the liquid smoke and Worcestershire sauce over top of brisket. Cover with lid and cook on Low heat for 12 hours.
- Once done cooking, carefully remove brisket to a large platter. Remove fat from bottom of brisket. It should easily skim right off. Discard fat. Shred brisket.
- Carefully (it will be hot!) pour whats left of water out of slow cooker.
- Place shredded brisket back in slow cooker and pour barbecue sauce all over the top. Gently stir. Cover with lid and cook another 30 minutes or until sauce is heated through.
- Serve brisket warm and enjoy!
Resist the temptation to raise the temperature and shorten the cooking time. This is Brisket not beef roast. You do not want a tough dry end product.