Source: This one’s an original family recipe!
- 2 cups dry Great Northern beans, sorted rinsed and soaked for 8-12 hours.
- 1/2 pound cured pork belly, cubed under 1 inch
- 1 med onion
- 3 Tbls Brown sugar
- 3 Tbls molasses
- ½ tsp dry mustard ( 1 Tbls reg mustard)
- 2 Tbls ketchup
- 1 tsp salt (wait and taste before adding later if needed)
- *Option – 1 or 2 Tbsp diced fresh jalapeno pepper
- *Option – Substitute barbeque sauce for all or part the brown sugar and molasses. This is dependant on the sauce you choose many sauces have a very sweet base, you’ll need to do this by taste.
- Brown the diced pork belly with diced onion.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (minus the beans) to the pan and simmer just to bring the mixture together, about a minute
- In a medium roaster add the soaked beans and the molasses mixture, cover all with water and bake at 350, adding water as needed until the beans are brown and tender. Add molasses and mustard to taste as needed.